RetCon – the Retro Gaming Festival – is back for 2021. Taking place in Greenford, North West London, RetCon combines a show floor filled with machines from the last five decades of computing and video gaming, alongside gaming competitions and talks, stories and presentations from industry insiders.
RetCon began in 2018, with a second event in 2019. COVID-19 restrictions prevented it from running an event in 2020, but organisers, Greenford Computer Club, are excited to be back in 2021 with a COVID-safe show format.
RetCon features three zones – the main show floor featuring consoles and computers, all of which you can play with, as well as get tips and information from the team who will be on hand to demonstrate all the systems. There are fully working consoles and systems going back as far as the 1970s, through to present day. Also on the main show floor will be a selection of stands offering book signings, memorabilia and games for sale. There will be a gaming area, housing Sensible Soccer and Unreal tournament competitions. While the talks tent will host presentations, talks, fireside chats and content screenings throughout the day.
Special guests include:
- Former Commodore UK managing director David Pleasance will be attending to sell and sign copies of his new book “From Vultures to Vampires”.
- Documentary filmmakers Anthony and Nicola Caulfield (From Bedrooms to Billions, The Amiga Years, The PlayStation Revolution).
- Stephen Jones, creator of the Checkmate 1500 Amiga-inspired PC cases (https://www.checkmate1500plus.com)
- YouTube Streamer and Retro Hour podcast host Dan Wood (https://theretrohour.com)
- YouTube streamer and retro tech fixer Mark Fixes Stuff (http://markfixesstuff.co.uk)
- Documentary filmmaker and games creator Stephen Fletcher (The Commodore Story, Amiga 2021, Cosmic Force)
Attendees will also be able to compete in two gaming competitions, a multiplayer Unreal Tournament arena set up at the show and a Sensible Soccer cup tournament. Winners will receive trophies on the day to keep.
RetCon is just a few minutes walk from Greenford station (Central Line and British Rail), located next to the Greenford exit of the A40 motorway and is just 10 mins drive from Junction 16 of the M25.
https://www.facebook.com/RetConFestival/ – More information
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/retcon-the-retro-gaming-festival-2021-tickets-90215893165 – Tickets – £6